Today I’m participating in Handmade Makers Market’s ‘Getting To Know You Challenge’. They love handmade and believe in shopping local and direct from the makers, crafters and designers themselves and so do I. Find out more about the Handmade Makers Challenge and answer the questions for yourself here.
- First up, give us a quick introduction, who are you, what do you do?
I’m Anwen. I’m a sewing, costume, style, fashion history obssessive. Yes, I read sewing and costume history text books for fun.
I have been designing and stitching away for years and am finally having a try at making it a business. I love theatricality, smart tailoring, funky colours.
- Give us one unusual or surprising fact about yourself, something we wouldn’t expect!
I have a post-graduate diploma in performance (on the cello)
- What are the 5 words that best describe you?
Focused, perfectionist, curious, quirky, fabric-geek (is that 2?)
- What do you make?
I’m a seamstress. I make clothes, scarves, pocket handkerchiefs, and really anything else in fabric which takes my fancy. I’m planning on it becoming my full-time profession, at the moment I’m part-time on it. But no less committed for that!
- Describe your normal day (if you have such a thing!)
Get up ludicrously early, sew sew sew, go to work (usually late!), spend the day away at my desk mostly day dreaming about sewing, go home, sew sew sew, sleep.
- Where are you happiest?
On the top of Rhossilli Down looking out to sea
- What the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
Its not what you do that you look back on with regret, its the things you failed to have a try at.
- What talent are you most proud of and why?
Its not really a talent, but one of my proudest moments was completing the London Marathon this year, and running absolutely every step of the way. Its strange really given that I’m wanting to make it my profession but, although I absolutely love it, my sewing and crafting doesn’t tend to bring my proudest moments; probably because I look at things I’ve made, and even if I’m pleased with them I always want to improve for the next time.
- What would you like to be better at and why?
Apart from always wanting to improve my sewing skills (that’ll be the perfectionist) I would like to be a faster runner. Why? Because running is something I do 4 or 5 times a week, and anything you do that much is pleasing to be good at!
- What would you like to have more of and why?
Time. There’s always something else to fit into the day!
- If you could be given any gift what would it be?
A Dior couture New Look outfit and a Madame Gres original to study the construction techniques used to make them. Such beautiful, timeless garments.
- If you could give any gift to anyone, what would you give and to whom?
A vintage Chanel gown to my younger sister. (Clearly there’s a theme in the gifts!)
- What’s the next big thing you’re looking forward to in your life?
Starting on the Bespoke Tailoring training course endorsed by Savile Row Bespoke. I’m so excited to start learning how to make absolutely top quality bespoke suits!
- What’s the item your house that makes you smile the most, maybe it’s a piece of artwork or furniture or maybe a secret culinary ingredient, cd or dvd?
The oil painting we bought on our honeymoon. Its beautiful and vibrant, and makes me think of sunny weather and running around on the beach.